By Dennis Douroumis
Hot-melt extrusion (HME) - melting a substance and forcing it via an orifice below managed stipulations to shape a brand new fabric - is an rising processing expertise within the pharmaceutical for the education of assorted dosage types and drug supply platforms, for instance granules and sustained free up capsules.
Hot-Melt Extrusion: Pharmaceutical Applications covers the most instrumentation, operation rules and theoretical heritage of HME. It then makes a speciality of HME drug supply platforms, dosage types and medical reviews (including pharmacokinetics and bioavailability) of HME items. eventually, the booklet comprises a few contemporary and novel HME purposes, scale -up issues and regulatory concerns. issues coated include:
- principles and die layout of unmarried screw extrusion
- twin screw extrusion strategies and practices within the laboratory and on creation scale
- HME advancements for the pharmaceutical industry
- solubility parameters for prediction of drug/polymer miscibility in HME formulations
- the impact of plasticizers in HME
- applications of polymethacrylate polymers in HME
- HME of ethylcellulose, hypromellose, and polyethylene oxide
- bioadhesion houses of polymeric movies produced via HME
- taste protecting utilizing HME
- clinical experiences, bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of HME products
- injection moulding and HME processing for pharmaceutical materials
- laminar dispersive & distributive blending with dissolution and functions to HME
- technological issues regarding scale-up of HME processes
- devices and implant structures via HME
- an FDA standpoint on HME product and approach understanding
- improved strategy figuring out and keep an eye on of an HME approach with near-infrared spectroscopy
Hot-Melt Extrusion: Pharmaceutical Applications is a necessary multidisciplinary consultant to the rising pharmaceutical makes use of of this processing know-how for researchers in academia and operating in drug formula and supply, pharmaceutical engineering and processing, and polymers and fabrics science.
This is the 1st publication from our fresh sequence Advances in Pharmaceutical expertise. Find out extra in regards to the sequence here.
Chapter 1 Single?Screw Extrusion: ideas (pages 1–21): Keith Luker
Chapter 2 Twin?screw Extruders for Pharmaceutical Hot?melt Extrusion: expertise, concepts and Practices (pages 23–42): Dirk Leister, Tom Geilen and Thobias Geissler
Chapter three Hot?Melt Extrusion advancements within the Pharmaceutical (pages 43–69): Ana Almeida, Bart Claeys, Jean Paul Remon and Chris Vervaet
Chapter four Solubility Parameters for Prediction of Drug/Polymer Miscibility in Hot?Melt Extruded Formulations (pages 71–92): Andreas Gryczke
Chapter five The impression of Plasticizers in Hot?Melt Extrusion (pages 93–112): Geert Verreck
Chapter 6 purposes of Poly(meth)acrylate Polymers in soften Extrusion (pages 113–144): Kathrin Nollenberger and Jessica Albers
Chapter 7 Hot?Melt Extrusion of Ethylcellulose, Hypromellose and Polyethylene Oxide (pages 145–175): Mark corridor and Michael Read
Chapter eight Bioadhesion homes of Polymeric motion pictures Produced through Hot?Melt Extrusion (pages 177–199): Joshua Boateng and Dennis Douroumis
Chapter nine style overlaying utilizing Hot?Melt Extrusion (pages 201–221): Dennis Douroumis, Marion Bonnefille and Attila Aranyos
Chapter 10 scientific and Preclinical experiences, Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics of Hot?Melt Extruded items (pages 223–237): Sandra weapons and man Van den Mooter
Chapter eleven Injection Molding and Hot?Melt Extrusion Processing for Pharmaceutical fabrics (pages 239–259): Pernille Hoyrup Hemmingsen and Martin Rex Olsen
Chapter 12 Laminar Dispersive and Distributive blending with Dissolution and functions to Hot?Melt Extrusion (pages 261–284): Costas G. Gogos, Huiju Liu and Peng Wang
Chapter thirteen Technological issues relating to Scale?Up of Hot?Melt Extrusion methods (pages 285–300): Adam Dreiblatt
Chapter 14 units and Implant structures via Hot?Melt Extrusion (pages 301–321): Andrew Loxley
Chapter 15 Hot?Melt Extrusion: An FDA point of view on Product and approach realizing (pages 323–331): Abhay Gupta and Mansoor A. Khan
Chapter sixteen greater approach knowing and keep an eye on of a Hot?Melt Extrusion procedure with near?Infrared Spectroscopy (pages 333–353): Chris Heil and Jeffrey Hirsch
Read or Download Hot-Melt Extrusion: Pharmaceutical Applications PDF
Best pharmacy books
All scholars of pharmaceutical sciences and scientific learn want a sturdy wisdom and figuring out of the character, tools, software, and significance of facts. creation to stats in Pharmaceutical scientific Trials is a perfect creation to statistical data offered within the context of medical trials performed in the course of pharmaceutical drug improvement.
Self-assembly monolayer (SAM) buildings of lipids and macromolecules were stumbled on to play a tremendous position in lots of commercial and organic phenomena. This ebook describes methods, specifically the STM and AFM, which are used to check SAMs at stable surfaces. ok. S. Birdi examines the SAMs at either liquid and sturdy surfaces through the use of the Langmuir monolayer technique.
The management of drugs in hospitals has turn into more and more complicated. It occasionally comprises powerful medicinal drugs which may be deadly if administered incorrectly. the power to accomplish drug calculations correctly is hence paramount to avoid putting sufferers in danger. Drug Calculations for Nurses: A step by step strategy teaches healthcare pros tips on how to practice drug calculations with self belief and competence.
This e-book devotes a bankruptcy to every RTK kin and the a number of receptors inside of each one relatives, completely masking all the RTKs. The chapters all stick to an identical constitution, featuring this crucial details in an obtainable and common structure. every one bankruptcy covers one particular relatives of receptors and starts off with a normal advent to that relations and a complete dialogue of that receptor’s kin in improvement and human illness.
- Advanced Computer-Assisted Techniques in Drug Discovery
- Natural Products Chemistry: Sources, Separations and Structures
- Pharmaceutical product strategy: using dynamic modeling for effective brand planning
- Burger's Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery, Autocoids, Diagnostics, and Drugs from New Biology
- Gene Profiles in Drug Design
- Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy
Extra info for Hot-Melt Extrusion: Pharmaceutical Applications
5) Luker, K. (2010) Comparison of ﬂow striations of various SSE mixers to the recirculator and elongator mixers. Antec 2010. (6) Luker, K. (2007) Summary results of a novel single screw compounder. Antec 2007. (7) Luker, K. M. (2009) Investigation into a high output polypropylene screw and its mixing mechanism. Antec 2009. 1 Introduction A large number of today’s materials used are plastics and undergo hot-melt extrusion (HME) processes in their course of manufacturing. g. injection molding) are widely used and accepted in the modern plastics industry.
Since the 1950s, a variety of mixers have been available. Some of these force material into small spaces for additional shearing. Some divide the ﬂow into many streams so that smaller masses are sheared more effectively. Some make use of pins embedded in the root of the screw and some cut the screw ﬂights. They have one thing in common that limits their effectiveness, however: they are placed after the screw melts the material, and most of a screw is necessarily dedicated to producing a melted polymer.
Screws are, most commonly, made from a solid piece of steel leaving a screw root that is polished. The ﬂights are ground and ﬁt closely within the barrel. 2 depicts a general-purpose polymer 24/1 L/D screw. Typically, the one-piece screw is driven from the right through a simple key on a shaft that ﬁts into the gear reducer of the extruder. The general-purpose screw has a ﬂight pitch equal to the screw diameter. A classic general-purpose screw has three parts (the feed, the compression and the metering section), all of equal length.